News | Small Business | People | Management | Careers | Marketing | Audio Books | Sports Business

Business and Author Sports Articles

Dunkin' Donuts is in a Big Vat of Oil

Dunkin Donuts Books

What happened to the world’s one-time largest seller of coffee and donuts? Dunkin Donuts is trying to knock the sugar off the brand. The question is – Why would they even bother?

Full Disclosure: I like donuts, a lot. I don’t like coffee, much. With this in mind, for the life of me I can’t figure out what Dunkin' Donuts is doing with their brand? They have dreamed up so many new concepts over the “Starbucks Years” that it is sometimes difficult to determine what they actually sell, and where. 



  

A Donut Breakfast Sandwich?

This week’s Dunkin' news brings us the introduction of a breakfast sandwich between two halves of a donut.  Okay, call us suckers - but do they really think this is going to work?  I mean, how exactly do they intend to pull this combo off?  Are they going to deep fry my sausage patty before it drops in the fryer? All kidding aside, Dunkin' Donuts is trying hard by all estimations. They were once the premier brand for that early morning caffeine and sugar rush.  Now they are more like an outdated brand with an outdated logo and an outdated clientele.

Who's Leading the Dunkers?

Old Dunkin Donuts
CEO Nigel Travis and his band of donut masters is dreaming if they think this company will every keep up with the Starbucks and McDonald's of the breakfast world.  Now I must confess a bias against Dunkin', not because I don’t like the gooey treats, but because I am from out west where the only Dunkin' Donuts stores you see are in rundown towns just trying to hang on by an economic thread.  

One of those places you would give a glance to while passing by and wonder when the last time the health inspector ventured within it’s paint-faded doors. In a nutshell, the place is a bit Waffle House in the 1960's.  Only issue there is it is over a decade into the new millennium.

Too Dumb to Fail?

In the business world there are times when consumers just sit back and scratch their heads.  For every Doritos Locos Tacos, there is a New Coke to make us all wonder who is paying all these corporate executives to come up with their zany ideas.  If you are interested in some more crazy branding concepts that went totally wrong, I would encourage you to pick up the book Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time.

With that said, more power to Dunkin' Donuts, I sure hope re-branding their stores and creating goofy breakfast products treats them well.  My thinking is this whole thing will go the way of the McGriddle – a good idea, until you actually eat one.  Good luck to my friends at Dunkin', I think you will need it.


Dunkin' Donuts is in a Big Vat of Oil

Written by: Published by: Copyright holder: on

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 PM MDT

    I was actually just at Dunkin' Donuts today. I saw the signs that was advertising this sandwich. I was both disgusted and curious. I know that there are burgers made between a single doughnut. I wonder if they're going to grab a bigger part of the breakfast market. I'll be interested to find out.

    Peter
    www.debelit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we will try out Dunkin with the kids this weekend. Might be kind of fun to see how donuts used to be made. Like I've said, I don't dislike them.

    ReplyDelete

News

|

Small Business

|

People

|

Management

|

Careers

|

Marketing

|

Audio Books

|

Sports Business